Not so long ago, when tech jobs weren't a commodity, people got excited about writing code. They fired up terminals, cloned repositories and went out of their way to build ideas from scratch. Google, Apple and Facebook happened. Life was awesome.
But then, somewhere along the way, the world got lost in a sea of corporate bullshit, incompetent project managers and made-up job roles.Writing awesome code didn't really matter anymore, work lives became a 9-5 thing and god-level geeks allowed themselves to pursue strategic mediocrity. Today, the hacker is a dying species, endangered by pointless hierarchies, outrageous dress codes, and teammates who are hell-bent on being lazy. But wait, there's still hope.
Save the Hacker is a two-day hackathon organized by Freshdesk, meant for college students who want to demonstrate their talent and smart engineers who are stuck in an IT services company. If you feel like you are one of them, stuck, with nowhere to go, here’s your last chance at redemption. Code your heart out for two days straight, show us what you have, and while at it, win some great prizes.
Registrations are free and will be open until the 24th of February. You can compete in a team of up to 4 people or be a lone wolf (if you need help finding someone to hack along, let us know).
In order to make sure that we accommodate some of the most exciting ideas, we will be handpicking teams ourselves from the submissions, so make sure you get our attention with your entry.
Once you have completed your registration, we'll get in touch with you over the next few days to let you know if your entry has been selected for the hackathon.
Keep your fingers crossed.
1. You have to build either a web or a mobile app during the hackathon. There are no restrictions on programming languages.
2. We expect you to begin coding at the hackathon. We hope you respect the idea behind the event, and don’t use anything already built.
3. When you’re done, we’ll review your code to make sure you actually built the app in two days. We’ll help you with issues too.
At the end of the hackathon, you will be asked to give a 5 minute demo of your project to a panel of judges. We’ll be evaluating it based on the original idea, the completeness, and the technical challenge that went behind building your app.
We will be offering cash prizes of Rs.1,00,000 (and maybe something else) for the winners.
• You need to bring your laptop or any mobile devices for the hackathon.
• Inside the workplace, we will take care of everything you need - internet, mentors, food, drinks, space.
• You will be expected to install all required components, stack or libraries that might be required for your project.
• If you've got questions, shoot us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We're sorry, but it looks like you are too late. We've closed registrations for this edition for Save the Hacker. But hey, don't feel too bad. We'll be back again in a few months to rescue more hackers with a more awesome hackathon. Please fill in your details below and we'll make sure you are invited the next time.
(if you have registered already, please wait for an confirmation email from us)